Friday, February 27, 2009

1929 on Canvas

I intended to review Un Chien Andalou by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí, but I got distracted and started looking at paintings from 1929 instead.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Treachery of Images by René Magritte


Girl on a Hill by Prudence Heward


Chop Suey by Edward Hopper

Two of the movies I watched from 1929 (Applause and Broadway Melody) involved young women trying to make a living in show business in New York. In both movies, they make a reference to going out for some chop suey. This stuck out to me because although I've heard of the dish, I don't think I've ever tasted it. I've eaten Chinese food plenty of times, but I can't recall if chop suey was ever even on the menu.


The Musician by Tamara de Lempicka

This one is my favorite. It looks like the cover of an Ayn Rand novel.


Lugubrious Game by Salvador Dalí

No comments: